You are here
The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals (APFA) has the distinction of being one of the oldest animal protection groups in Canada.
Since 1944, APFA (also known as Fur-Bearer Defenders) has been working to end the commercial fur trade. We also provide practical hands-on assistance to municipalities across Canada seeking to minimize human-wildlife conflicts, particularly related to beavers and coyotes.
A dedicated volunteer Board of Directors manages our society and our work is entirely supported by donations.
Our major accomplishments:
• Influencing legislation. As a result of our campaigns, several communities have prohibited or restricted the use of lethal traps. We also have encouraged the creation of various federal bills and development of legislation in the European Union.
• Awareness & education. We have exposed the fur industry through various TV, radio, billboards, newspaper, transit and online ads.
• First group to expose trapping cruelty. Our group was the first to release never before seen film footage of animals suffering on a Canadian trap line.
• We build flow devices. We have built dozens of flow devices in municipalities across Canada. These non-lethal pipe/cage systems prevent beavers from being trapped and killed.
• Celebrity support. Our roster includes Kim Basinger, Bif Naked, Loretta Swit, Jason Priestley and Georges Laraque.
Photo: Wolf howling.